Universal Technical Institute High School Challenge April 27
Maple Grove Raceway will host its annual Universal Technical Institute High School Challenge on Sunday, April 27. Students will drag race in street-legal cars, competing for bragging rights against other area high schools. The Challenge also offers aspiring young mechanics and racers an opportunity to showcase what they’ve learned in automotive classrooms in front of their peers. Also on the schedule is a high school alumni race: All past participants are welcome to compete in the special Alumni Eliminator.
The overall winner on April 27 will represent Maple Grove Raceway at the NHRA Northeast Division Summit Racing Series E.T. Final in September.
Gates will open at 8 a.m. with time trials at 9:30 a.m.
Race entry is $25 per student. Adult spectator admission is $15, young adults (ages 13-15) are $10 and kids 12 and under are free.
Last year, York Tech student Brandon Witmeyer of Thomasville, Pa., defeated Jeremy Bartman of Daniel Boone High School in the final.
HIGH SCHOOL CHALLENGE
- Score team points for your school. The winning school will receive a championship trophy.
- Racer only has to win two rounds to receive a trophy.
- Overall individual high school champion will receive a large trophy and will represent Maple Grove Raceway at the NHRA Northeast Division Summit Racing Series E.T. Final in September.
- All competitors must be current high school students with a valid driver’s license.
- Cars may not run quarter-mile elapsed times quicker than 11.50 seconds.
- All cars must have a closed exhaust system.
- All vehicles must pass an NHRA technical inspection before making any runs.
- Motorcycles are not permitted.
- All cars must use street tires or D.O.T.-approved drag tires. Slicks are not permitted.
- All students under the age of 18 must present a parental release form signed by both parents before competing. Only original consent forms will be accepted – no photocopies.
- Parental consent forms are available at Maple Grove Raceway.
Maple Grove Raceway’s 52nd season of drag racing will open on Saturday, April 12, with grudge racing and a Test ‘n’ Tune session.