2014 schedule released
For its 52nd season, Maple Grove Raceway will once again offer a full schedule of drag racing action from late April to mid October.
The season will feature the return of many fan favorites, along with some big additions to the slate.
The 30th NHRA Nationals on Oct. 2-5 should continue to be one of the fastest races on the Mello Yello Series schedule and a pivotal part of the Countdown to the Championship. All four 2013 season champions – Shawn Langdon (Top Fuel), John Force (Funny Car), Jeg Coughlin (Pro Stock) and Matt Smith (Pro Stock Motorcycle) – earned Wallys at Maple Grove en route to their respective titles.
Some of the other returning big events for the season:
- The Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series on May 22-25. The NHRA’s Sportsman series returns for a 45th time with some of drag racing’s up-and-coming stars. Saturday’s round will conclude with 260-mph Top Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars finals as fans can take advantage of Maple Grove’s popular $25 carload deal on Saturday night.
- Mega Mopar Action Series on June 22. The first of the three Manufacturers Series events, the weekend will feature a jamboree of enthusiasts who love Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth and AMC Products.
- Super Chevy Show presented by Chevy Performance on July 11-13. The largest such show in the country featured over 600 race entries and hundreds of car-show entries in 2013. It’s a summer paradise for Chevy lovers.
- The Keystone Diesel Nationals on July 26-27 will be a mecca for big truck racers in this part of the country. Ever want to see those big rigs on the Pennsylvania Turnpike rumble down a dragstrip in competition? Here’s your chance!
- Fun Ford Weekend on Sept. 13-14. Fans of the Blue Oval have turned out in droves to race or show in honor of their favorite brand. Look for a bigger and better FFW in 2014.
- Penske Truck Leasing Pennsylvania Dutch Classic presented by P.C. Richard & Son on Oct. 9-12. It’s one of the oldest Sportsman races in the country and it comes back for the 43rd edition. It’s also part of the NHRA’s Northeast Division Open Series, which invites the best Sportsman racers from all over the country to participate.
Also returning are the Latin American Sports Compacts on Sept. 6-7, the VW June Bug Classic on June 8 and the 10K Footbrake Nationals on Oct. 18.
Maple Grove will introduce some new and exciting events in 2014:
- The Great Bull Run on June 7. The festival will feature multiple runnings of the bulls throughout the day followed by Tomato Royale, a large tomato food fight open to the public. For those who prefer watching rather than participating, spectator areas will be set up along The Great Bull Run track and around the Tomato Royale arena and will include live music, festival games, food and beverages.
- KSR Motorsports Thrill Show on July 19. It will be quite a day with monster trucks, motorcycle stunts and jet cars.
Local racers will find plenty of action. The Sunoco Race Fuels Money Trail E.T. Series, which features local racers competing for season points, is scheduled to have 15 races split into three sessions this summer. People wanting to test their cars on the drag strip will get over a dozen opportunities with Auto Locator Fast Friday Grudge Racing that will be held on Friday nights through the summer.
The ATI Stock-Super Stock Shootout returns with four dates that will be included as part of the Money Trail. Racers from this popular NHRA Sportsman class will compete for points on July 5-6 and Aug. 9-10.
The Grove will once again host three automotive flea markets: April 12-13, June 28 and Oct. 25.
For the full schedule, click here.